01 September 2007

Fuera Ulises! by Ana Nimo

fuera-ulises.jpg August 26th, 2007 - Ana Nimo writes: This book represents my interpretation of the events in Oaxaca from June thru November of 2006. It is influenced by my perspective as a visitor and an anti-authoritarian. I’m sure there are as many perspectives as there are viewers, and that a government supporter, a Marxist, or a member of the APPO would tell the story differently. Ceratinly, many other visitors did not see things as I did, one tourists blog stated, “I hate the APPO, they destroyed my Burger King!”


Here's a
link (with the artist's blessing) to the whole thing, which comes up as a .pdf file. The handwritten English text is dense in places, so I recommend magnifying the document for easier reading. Plus the drawings get much better too.

The book is pretty incredible. In a short period of space, 12 pages of images and text, it offers both close-up and wide-angle views of Oaxaca from June to November of 2006. Based on what I learned this summer, the timeline and accounting of events ring true. Criticisms presented against both the government and the APPO echo many of the criticisms I encountered in my conversations with Oaxacans. The book captures the tension, escalation and political disarray that took hold of Oaxaca last year and, albeit somewhat less overtly--for the moment--continues today.

If you've been curious about the political climate in Oaxaca, last year's confrontations, and the undercurrent that runs through the city today, take a few minutes and read through this graphic account. It presents one of the freshest takes on Oaxaca's troubles that I've seen yet.