09 July 2007

Call for Input

While there's much to see and hear in Oaxaca, and a great deal of exciting writing to do here, the more I learn the more I realize how little I know about what's going on. Whether it's the history of Oaxacan and Mexican politics--recent or long past--the history and values of the Zapotec and Mixtec peoples, or the current cultural views of average Oaxacans, I know enough to know I know very little.

While it may not be possible for me to truly understand what has happened and is happening for the people here, I nevertheless hope to learn more. I am in Oaxaca for six weeks this summer, and after a break in August will return in the fall to live here for six months, mas o menos. Are there travelers, students, writers, or artists reading this now? Ex-pats or Oaxacans who would be available to speak with me about events in Oaxaca and Mexico at large? I'd love to learn from your experiences.

Whether through comments on this blog, an internet dialogue or over a cup of coffee in the city, I would be very interested in meeting you and hearing your take on Oaxacan culture. Send an email to mattplav@gmail.com if you are interested. Some of you have written already with encouraging words about the posts I've put up. Thank you for those, and thank you for any help you might offer as I round out my awareness and work to make my writing as responsible as possible.