10 August 2007

The Lull

There's a post-Guelaguetza, post-election lull across Oaxaca right now. The last of the protesters have cleared out of the city center, the zocalo has been cleared of anti-government propaganda, and paint crews are on a rampage to whitewash graffiti from city streets. It's incredible how much different the place feels without the presence of political banners and public address systems broadcasting opposition views. This is the Oaxaca I hope for in the future, but I know that it will not stay this way for long.

There is a distinct and widespread brand of dissatisfaction among residents of the city. The record low voter turnout at the August 5 election is only the latest in a series of signals that people don't believe the current system of government--including all of the extant political parties--has anything to do with serving the interests of the people. While I find it hard to support the gross abstentionism seen here last weekend, I am sympathetic to the notion that any vote cast is a vote in favor of the current system, broken, perverted by corruption, this so-called democracy. The people find themselves in a very unpleasant position.

I do not have further analysis to add. Jenna and I leave the city tomorrow for eight weeks of travel in Mexico, the United States and Peru. We'll return to Oaxaca in October to go back to school and to begin work. In the meantime I will do my best to keep abreast of the happenings in Oaxaca and relay what items I find interesting. As always, thanks for reading.